Apply for a Scholarship - 2012
Established in 1974 to help immigrants fulfill their dreams of advanced education, the HIAS Scholarship Program provides financial assistance to HIAS-assisted individuals in the United States and olim in Israel who are pursuing college or graduate degrees. The awards are $1,000 for Israeli students.
Last year we launched a new, exciting program in the United States: HIAS Scholars. The HIAS Scholars program increases the impact of our past scholarship program by offering the following exciting benefits to awardees:
- Increased U.S. scholarship awards to $4,000
- Participation in community building projects serving local immigrant communities
- Leadership skills training and educational programming covering:
Jewish perspectives on contemporary immigration issues
Advocacy skills building
- Opportunity to meet your donor, other HIAS Scholars, and other members of the HIAS community at orientations and scholarship ceremonies held in NYC and LA
- Inclusion in HIAS Young Leaders, a community of young professionals and students devoted to furthering HIAS’ mission of helping migrants and advocating for fair and just immigration laws
Our 2011 HIAS Scholars currently are making extraordinary impacts on their communities with their individual service projects. Read their amazing immigration stories and learn about their personal connections to HIAS.
The 2012 US Scholars competition is now open; entries will be accepted until 11:59 pm on February 29, 2012. Applications must be submitted online. For your convenience, you may download a PDF of the online application to view the questions and assemble all necessary information prior to beginning the online application.
For the 2012 HIAS Scholars Competition, all applicants are required to submit the following:
- Online application and two essays
*Please note: Unlike past years, you will not be able to save your application partway through. We strongly recommend that you type out your essays in a word processing document first and then paste them into the appropriate sections.
- Official transcript from the educational institution you currently are attending, and from any other schools you have attended in the last two semesters.
- Copy of the first two pages only of your or your family's 2011 Federal Income Tax Form 1040
*If your 2011 Federal income tax form cannot be filed with the IRS by the February 29, 2012 competition deadline, you may submit your 2010 Federal Tax Form 1040. If an IRS return was not filed (e.g., you receive public assistance), please provide your most recent letter received from a welfare or social security office.
All applications and materials are to be submitted or postmarked no later than February 29, 2012. Failure to submit or complete any of the above components will exclude you from the competition.
Visit our Frequently Asked Questions to learn more about HIAS Scholars and the application process. Should you have additional questions, please contact the HIAS Scholarship Department at 212-613-1358 or firstname.lastname@example.org.