HIAS Headquarters – New York, NY
HIAS is seeking an intern to work with the Director of Online Engagement to develop written content to expand HIAS' online community of supporters and advocates. The successful candidate will have a strong interest in digital communications and marketing, international affairs, and/or issues relating to the protection of at-risk populations worldwide. This is a great opportunity for someone who is studying journalism, public relations, mass communications, digital communications, and/or online technology.
- Write feature stories about HIAS’ international, domestic, and advocacy programs
- Monitor and report on news stories of interest/relevance to HIAS’ online community
- Assist in preparing updates for HIAS' blog and website
- Monitor HIAS' presence on social media, specifically Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Google+
- Proficient and compelling writer, editor, proofreader, and online communicator
- Demonstrated interest in refugee and resettlement issues and cross cultural or international programs
- Media savvy
- Creative thinker and problem solver with strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to learn programs quickly and write under tight deadlines
- Ability to work independently
- Detail-oriented, with strong organizational skills
- Flexibility and a sense of humor
- Commitment of at least 10 hours/week for a duration of 12 weeks
Interested applicants should email the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Cover letter (please explain your interest in the position and indicate semester/time availability)
- Two brief writing samples (maximum 3 pages) on international, humanitarian, or human interest topics
- Contact information for 3 references
Applicants must currently be pursuing their degree. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Please note: Internships are unfunded but we work with schools to assist students in obtaining credit or funding. HIAS operates as an equal opportunity workplace and is located at 333 7th Avenue @ 28th Street, near the #1 subway or walking distance from Penn Station.