Immigration/Refugee Legal Intern
The refugee and immigration policy legal intern will work with HIAS’ policy and advocacy staff in the Washington, DC office on refugee and immigration matters related to both Jewish and non-Jewish refugees, immigrants, and asylees from all over the world. The intern will conduct legal research, analysis, and writing under the supervision of immigration lawyers to promote legislative and administrative reform to improve the treatment of refugees, immigrants, and asylum seekers in the U.S., and in support of HIAS’ international and domestic projects.
- Conduct research, analysis, and writing for various special projects related to immigration, refugee, and asylum policy, advocacy, and projects in support of HIAS’ U.S. and international programs
- Attend meetings, hearings, and briefings related to HIAS’ activities and report relevant developments to HIAS staff
- Other duties related to program development, management, operations, and grants
- Experience with immigration and/or refugees preferred
- Experience with DHS, DOS, and/or UNHCR a plus
- 2L or 3L desired
- Strong research, analytical, and writing skills
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task between legal and programmatic issues, and manage time effectively
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to work independently, and strong organizational skills
- Fluency in written and spoken English; bilingual a plus but not required
- Proficient in Microsoft applications (Word & Excel) and internet research
Interested applicants should email the following information to email@example.com:
- Cover letter (please explain your interest in the position and indicate semester/time availability)
- Brief writing sample (maximum 3 pages)
- Contact information for 3 references
Applicants must currently be pursuing their degree. No calls please. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Please note: HIAS internships are unfunded but we work with schools to assist students in obtaining credit or funding. HIAS operates as an equal opportunity workplace.