International Operations Intern, Summer 2013
HIAS Headquarters – New York, NY
The intern will work with the International Operations Department in HIAS’ New York headquarters to develop information and materials to further the Department’s goal of supporting HIAS’ overseas offices and programs. Successful candidates will have a strong interest in international affairs and/or issues relating to the protection of at-risk populations worldwide.
- Conducting research, analysis, and writing for various special projects including developing country conditions information for locations with Jewish and other populations of special interest to HIAS; monitoring international refugee protection issues; and preparing background information in support of HIAS’ international program development
- Monitoring and reporting on news stories of interest to the Department
- Assisting in preparation of content for HIAS' website and other reports and publications as necessary
- Assist with the planning and implementation of events for the Department
- Other duties related to program development, management, operations, database upkeep, grants, and general office support
- Undergraduate or graduate student. (Projects created and assigned based upon educational experience and knowledge.)
- Demonstrated interest in refugee issues preferred
- Strong research, analytical, and writing skills
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task between administrative and programmatic issues, and manage time effectively
- Excellent inter-personal skills, ability to work independently, and strong organizational skills
- Fluency in written and spoken English; bilingual a plus but not required
- Proficient in Microsoft applications (Word & Excel) and internet research
- Commitment of at least 15 hours/week during the academic year; full time during the summer
Interested applicants should email the following information to email@example.com:
- Cover letter (please explain your interest in the position and indicate semester/time availability)
- Brief writing sample (maximum 3 pages)
- Contact information for 3 references
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
HIAS is located at 333 Seventh Avenue, New York, NY, between 28th and 29th Streets—three blocks south of Penn Station. Please note: HIAS internships are unfunded but we work with schools to assist students to obtain credit, work-study, or other funding sources.