Refugee Resettlement Intern
HIAS Headquarters – New York, NY
HIAS is seeking BA or MA candidates for part-time research internships. The intern will work with HIAS’ U.S. Programs Department on projects affecting refugees, asylees, and special immigrant visa (siv) holders and on our agency’s refugee resettlement programs. The intern will work under the close supervision of our staff to develop program materials and reports in support of HIAS initiatives.
- Develop training materials for local resettlement agencies using PowerPoint and Prezi
- Conduct research and develop materials in support of refugee resettlement and other programs
- Research, draft, and/or translate web materials, cultural orientation materials, Prezi, and local resource guides for refugees, asylees, and sivs
- Assist staff in collaborating with local resettlement agencies and national organizations on a variety of issues and projects
- Participate in webinars and conference calls
- Strong research, analytical, writing, editing, and creative skills
- Critical thinking and cross-cultural communication skills
- An interest in refugee resettlement, immigration, education, human rights, international relations, and/or journalism
- Fluency in English; fluency in any of the following languages is a plus: Arabic, Burmese, Chin, Farsi, French, Karen, Karenni, Kinyarwanda, Kiswahili, Nepali, Somali, or Spanish
- Experience with immigrants, asylees, and/or refugees preferred
- Excellent inter-personal skills, ability to work independently, and strong organizational skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft applications (Word & Excel), Powerpoint, Outlook, Prezi, and other applications
Interested applicants should email the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Cover letter (please explain your interest in the position and indicate semester/time availability)
- Brief writing sample (maximum 3 pages)
- Contact information for 3 references
Applicants must currently be pursuing their degree. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Please note: Internships are unfunded but we work with schools to assist students in obtaining credit or funding. HIAS operates as an equal opportunity workplace and is located at 333 7th Avenue at 28th Street, directly accessible via the 1 train.