Russian Communications & Outreach Intern
HIAS Headquarters – New York, NY
The Russian Communications and Outreach Intern will work with HIAS’ RCO Department at its New York headquarters office on outreach and advocacy matters related to Russian-speaking community programs. The intern will learn about advocacy, coalition building, and communications with all levels of community leaders, as well as participate in meetings with elected officials and grassroots organizations.
- Conduct research, outreach, and writing for various special projects related to advocacy and the civic and voter education initiative for Russian speaking immigrants
- Communicate with the offices of elected officials and grassroots organizations
- Attend public forums, advocacy missions, and meetings with elected officials and grassroots organizations
- Assist in production of different booklets, fliers, and other printed material
- Other duties related to program development, management, operations, and grants as assigned
- Third year undergraduate studying Political Science, Communications, or Public Relations
- Strong research, analytical, and writing skills
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task between legal and programmatic issues, and manage time effectively
- Excellent inter-personal skills, ability to work independently, and strong organizational skills
- Fluency in written and spoken English; fluent conversational Russian is required
- Proficient in Microsoft applications (Word & Excel) and internet research.
- Cover letter (please explain your interest in the position and indicate semester/time availability)
- Brief writing sample (maximum 3 pages)
- Contact information for 3 references
HIAS is located at 333 7th Ave. at 28th Street—walking distance from Penn Station (train) and on the #1 subway line at 28th Street. Please note: HIAS internships are unfunded, but we work with schools to assist students with obtaining credit, work-study, or other funding sources.