Special Assistant to the VP for Community Engagement
HIAS Headquarters – New York, NY
In line with our commitment to expand and enhance outreach, education, and leadership development, HIAS has created a Department of Community Engagement, headed by Vice President Rabbi Jennie Rosenn. HIAS is seeking a Special Assistant to work closely with the Vice President by providing administrative, liaison, research, and communications support.
The Special Assistant will assist the VP for Community Engagement in developing and implementing a strategy for community engagement, building the Community Engagement Department, and serving as part of the HIAS senior leadership team. This position requires a quick learner who is well-organized, attentive to detail, strong on follow-through and relationship-building, able to work well in a changing environment, and able to discern the need for and maintain confidentiality.
- Arranging and ensuring follow up for the VP for Community Engagement’s meetings, scheduling, and travel
- Creating and organizing effective systems for the emerging Community Engagement Department
- Representing the Community Engagement Department in internal and external meetings—both public and private—as needed
- Assisting the VP for Community Engagement with preparation for speaking engagements, presentations, reports, publications, etc.
- Researching and tracking metrics linked to community engagement strategy
- Supporting the VP for Community Engagement in work with foundations and Jewish institutions
- Supporting work with the HIAS Archives as needed
- Ensuring the Community Engagement Department is complying with and acting on administrative requirements (expense reports, travel authorization, etc.) in a timely manner
- Working collaboratively with other members of the HIAS staff and undertaking other administrative tasks as assigned
- Intelligent, energetic generalist with a bias toward proactive problem solving
- Detail-oriented and able to consistently meet deadlines
- Strong oral and written communication and analytical skills
- Commitment to teamwork
- Ability to perform with grace and humor under pressure and manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Familiarity with and strong commitment to HIAS’ mission
- Knowledge of Jewish community structures and organizations a plus
- Prior office management experience and/or nonprofit work experience preferred
- Ability to travel on occasion required
- High proficiency in web research, knowledge of Microsoft package, and general knowledge of computer maintenance and functions required
- Bachelor’s Degree required
The position is full-time, with a starting salary range of $35,000 - $37,000, commensurate with experience, and comprehensive benefits. Interested applicants should email the following information to email@example.com:
- Cover letter
- Salary history
No calls please. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
HIAS is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with all federal, state, and local employment laws.