The TLC Project
Protecting and resettling refugees honors the United States’ legacy of welcoming those fleeing persecution and searching for freedom. Offering this protection not only strengthens America’s national and international standing, but also strengthens American society through the many contributions that refugees bring to their communities.
Through the Linking Communities Project: Creating Welcome for Refugees (TLC Project), HIAS and its partners—the Center for Applied Linguistics; Church World Service; Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Services; the U.S. Committee for Refugees and Immigrants; and the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, working closely with Welcoming America and Refugee Council USA—aim to increase support for refugee resettlement and the overall level of welcoming for immigrants in communities in the pilot states of Ohio and Pennsylvania.
Help us do outreach
If you know of others who either work with refugees or would like to start, please reach out to them and tell them about the TLC Project. Learn more about doing outreach.
- November 6, 2013 10:00–11:00 am EST: Pennsylvania Conference Call
- November 7, 2013 3:30–4:30 pm EST: Ohio Conference Call
- December 3, 2013: Statewide training and strategy session in Columbus, OH
- December 16, 2013: Statewide training and strategy session in Harrisburg, PA
- January 20th, 2014: Grant Applications Due
- National Launch Meeting to present the project to local resettlement partners and key national partners.
August – November 2013
- Gather contacts in OH and PA and hold regional calls to begin discussions about local challenges and to identify key issues people want to cover during the meetings.
- Daylong training and strategy sessions to plan activities and create partnerships for implementation.
December 3: Columbus, OH
December 16: Harrisburg, PA
- Process grant applications to fund local activities.
February – May 2014
- Implement activities in local communities to promote resettlement.
- Compile key outcomes and lessons learned about techniques for effective organizing, advocacy, and outreach activities to build support for refugee resettlement; finalize materials for dissemination.
For more information about the TLC Project or to learn how you can get involved, please contact Shaina Ward at firstname.lastname@example.org or 202 212 6023.