• Can refugees and asylees travel outside the U.S.?

    Yes, they can. However, refugee and asylees who intend to travel abroad must make sure they will be able to return to the U.S.. This can be done by applying to the USCIS for a Refugee Travel Document using the USCIS Form I-131. Also, refugees and asylees, who voluntarily return to their country of persecution, may lose their status.
  • After I receive my Refugee Travel Document, do I need to do anything else?

    You need to obtain a visa to enter the country you want to visit from the appropriate embassy or consulate.
  • I am a refugee, but I have a valid passport from my native country. Can I travel on that passport?

    No. By traveling on the passport issued by the country of persecution, you avail yourself of its protection, which is inconsistent with refugee or asylum status. This may result in loss of your refugee or asylee status.
  • What will happen if I leave the U.S. and try to come back without the proper documentation?

    If you do not obtain the proper travel documentation before departure from the U.S., you run the risk of being barred from re-entering the country.