You can support the critical work of HIAS around the world at a lower cost to you by making a gift of appreciated stock. Advantages include:
- avoiding federal and state tax on long-term capital gains;
- receiving an income tax deduction for the value of your gift based upon the average share price on the date received by HIAS.
Please consult your financial planner or tax advisor to determine how these potential tax advantages apply to your specific situation.
To make a publicly traded securities donation to HIAS:
1. For securities held by a brokerage firm, instruct your broker to make an electronic transfer to:
Broker Name: Fidelity Brokerage Services LLC
Account Number: Z85-252727
2. Please also fill out this online form or notify us via email at email@example.com or by phone at 212-967-4100 or 301-844-7300 and dial 1. Please note, your stock may be transferred to us without any identifying information.
In order for us to credit the gift to you and send an acknowledgement for your tax purposes, please be sure to include the following information in the online form or in your email or voicemail:
- Name of securities;
- Number of shares you are transferring;
- Name of broker and firm, including contact information; and
- Your address, phone number and e-mail address.
For instructions on donating other types of securities (i.e. stocks held in certificate form, mutual funds, or a planned gift), or if you have any other questions, please email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 212-967-4100 or 301-844-7300 and follow the prompts to reach the Development Department.
From all of us at HIAS, thank you for your generosity!
HIAS' Federal tax ID: 13-5633307