How to Take Action for Asylum Seekers
Children in detention. Family separation. Denial of a fair and humane asylum process. The crisis at the U.S.-Mexico border is a moral one, and it is time for each of us to take a stand for the rights, dignity, and lives of those seeking safety in our country.
Here's how you can take action with HIAS and our partner organizations:
Now is the time to raise your voice in support of the rights, dignity, and safety of asylum seekers.
- Sign a quick petition in support of Asylum Seekers
- Join HIAS' grassroots advocacy efforts. Sign-up to organize a meeting with your Members of Congress, and we will be in touch with instructions.
- Ask your Rabbis and Cantors to sign a Jewish Clergy Letter in support of Asylum Seekers and to deliver it to Members of Congress
Volunteers are needed at the border and in communities around the country.
- If you are a lawyer and interested in volunteering both at the US/Mexico border and nationally, find out more here.
- Spanish-speaking individuals can volunteer with HIAS in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico, to support asylum seekers. Find out more and sign up here.
- Organize a trip to the border to volunteer, for your synagogue or community (very limited opportunities).
- Organize a legal delegation to the border, for lawyers from your synagogue or community
- Find an updated list of volunteer and donation needs at the border, from Love Resists
Make an in-kind or financial donation to support the work of HIAS and our partners
- Make a contribution to HIAS to support our work to provide assistance to asylum seekers
- Learn about all in-kind contributions to HIAS.
- Donate to HIAS' partner organizations in El Paso and San Diego:
- Donate to a Community Bail Fund to help immigrants meet their bond