- Call on Congress to ensure that evacuated Afghans have a permanent legal status
- Share our graphics on social media to raise awareness about the use of Title 42 to close the border to asylum seekers.
- Ask your Member of Congress to end the use of Title 42 to deny entry to asylum seekers at the border.
- Learn more ways to help Afghans during the current unfolding crisis
SHOW UP VIRTUALLY
- Join the Jews for Refugees Facebook Group to stay connected to the Jewish movement for refugees.
- Make an in-kind donation to help refugees and asylum seekers with basic needs.
- Donate air miles to help HIAS reunite clients with their families.
- Contribute to bond funds to release immigrants from detention.
- Hang a “Refugees Welcome” banner in your window.
- Purchase refugee-made products and support refugee-owned businesses online
- Join or help create a local mutual-aid network, particularly ones that have a focus on immigrant and refugee communities.
- View all current HIAS volunteer opportunities (all remote, due to COVID-19) on the HIAS Volunteer Page.
- Lawyers are needed for a variety of pro-bono projects, representing asylum seekers including at the U.S./Mexico border. Learn more and submit your interest.
- Spanish-speaking individuals can volunteer remotely to support HIAS' Border Response Team in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico, providing services to asylum seekers. Find out more and sign up here.
- Updates on remote volunteering at HIAS can also be found at the following links: New York, Washington DC.
- Visit the HIAS Events Page for a listing of online programs to learn about refugees around the world.
- Listen our recent webinars to learn about how HIAS is taking action for refugees in the U.S. and around the world at this unprecedented time and what you can do to help.
- Subscribe to Crossing Borders, the HIAS podcast on the global refugee crisis.
- Organize a HIAS online book club using our recommended reading list. You can register your group here. In addition, use our book club guide.for students.
- Learn about HIAS’ work to protect refugees during COVID-19.
- Use this time to learn more about the worldwide refugee crisis with our General Education Resources.
ORGANIZE YOUR COMMUNITY ONLINE
- Join an upcoming educational series designed for congregations who are part of HIAS' Welcome Campaign.
- Host an online organizing meeting with community members to discuss ways to help local refugees and asylum seekers. E-mail email@example.com for support.
- Encourage your synagogue to join the HIAS Welcome Campaign.
- Donate to support HIAS’ work with refugees who are particularly vulnerable to the spread of COVID and facing urgent new needs.
*To discuss ways to be involved with our work, contact Rebecca Kirzner, Senior Director of Grassroots Campaigns, who can support you and provide resources.