Ask your Members of Congress to Support Refugees
- Send a message to your Member of Congress to ask them to support the rights, dignity, and safety of refugees and asylum seekers.
- Send a message to ask your Member of Congress to support the No Ban Act, to end the Muslim and refugee bans.
- Ask your Member of Congress to support the rights and dignity of asylum seekers at the border here by ending the Remain in Mexico policy.
- Join our grassroots advocacy network. Sign-up to organize an in-district meeting with your Member of Congress, demonstrating your support for refugees and asylum seekers.
Confront Misinformation about Refugees
It is up to all of us to combat hate by speaking up when confronted by misinformation and hostility towards refugees. Use this conversation guide to help you in having difficult conversations with family or friends.
Make an In-Kind Donation
- Donate air miles to help HIAS reunite our clients with their families.
- Donate space in your home for refugees and asylum seekers, through Airbnb.
- Learn about all in-kind contributions to HIAS.
Join the “Jews for Refugees” Facebook Group
Connect with thousands of other committed individuals across the country, access up-to-the-minute information, and share the actions that you are taking. Click here to join.
Volunteers are needed at the border and in communities around the country.
- If you are a lawyer, find out about upcoming volunteer opportunities in NYC and DC areas, at the U.S/Mexico border, as well as other pro-bono opportunities around the country.
- Spanish-speaking individuals can volunteer with HIAS in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico, to support asylum seekers. Find out more and sign up here.
- Visit HIAS’ volunteer page for more information on all our opportunities
Attend events and rallies
- Find out about upcoming events, including National Refugee Shabbat.
- Rally for Refugees Print “Refugees Welcome” signs and bring them with you. Or, organize a Jewish action for refugees in your city. A sample action from a HIAS Day of Action can be found here.*
ORGANIZE YOUR COMMUNITY
These ideas are intended for congregations or groups. Here are ways you can make sure your community is part of the American Jewish movement in support of refugees.
For more information about ongoing opportunities for congregations, visit Make a Difference.
- Join the HIAS Welcome Campaign, HIAS’ congregational action network made up of almost 450 synagogues.
- Organize a trip to the border to volunteer, for your synagogue or community (very limited opportunities).
- Organize a legal delegation to the border, for lawyers from your synagogue or community
Educate Your Community
- Use HIAS’ educational materials for planning programs.
- HIAS may be able to send a speaker to your community. You can also find local partners and individuals to share their experience and knowledge.
Participate in National Refugee Shabbat
Click here for more information and to register for the next National Refugee Shabbat, March 20-21, 2020.
Become a Sanctuary Congregation
Local communities can play an important role in providing assistance to those at risk of deportation. Learn about and take steps toward becoming a Sanctuary Congregation.
Hang a Banner
Broadcast your support for refugees. Hang a “Refugees Welcome” banner outside your synagoge or community organization.
*If you are planning a program, action, or congressional meeting, be in touch with Janna Diamond, Grassroots Campaigns Officer, or Rebecca Kirzner, Director of Grassroots Campaigns - who can support you and provide resources.