- Submit a comment to the Federal Register in opposition to the new regulations that further attempts to shut down the U.S. asylum system.
- Join the Vote for Welcome campaign, to educate candidates running in your local area about refugees and asylum seekers.
- Sign a petition calling on the Department of Homeland Security to respect the human rights of asylum seekers during the time of COVID-19.
- Ask Congress to include refugees in any legislation providing relief to Americans during COVID-19.
- Listen our recent webinars to learn about how HIAS is taking action for refugees in the U.S. and around the world at this unprecedented time and what you can do to help.
SHOW UP VIRTUALLY
Join the Jews for Refugees Facebook Group to stay connected to the Jewish movement for refugees.
- Contribute to bond funds to release immigrants from detention.
Hang a “Refugees Welcome” banner in your window.
Purchase refugee-made products and support refugee-owned businesses online
Join or help create a local mutual-aid network, particularly ones that have a focus on immigrant and refugee communities.
As an attorney, you can offer your legal services doing remote pro bono representation of asylum seekers at the border. Learn more and submit your interest.
Spanish-speaking individuals can volunteer remotely to support HIAS' Border Response Team in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico, providing services to asylum seekers. Find out more and sign up here.
Visit HIAS@Home for a listing of online programs to learn about refugees around the world.
Join the HIAS Book and Film Club. Information can be found on the HIAS@Home page
Learn about HIAS’ work to protect refugees during COVID-19.
- Use this time to learn more about the worldwide refugee crisis with our General Education Resources.
ORGANIZE YOUR COMMUNITY ONLINE
Join an upcoming educational series designed for congregations who are part of HIAS' Welcome Campaign.
Host an online organizing meeting with community members to discuss ways to help local refugees and asylum seekers. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for support.
Encourage your synagogue to join the HIAS Welcome Campaign.
- Donate to support HIAS’ work with refugees who are particularly vulnerable to the spread of COVID and facing urgent new needs.
*To discuss ways to be involved with our work, contact Rebecca Kirzner, Director of Grassroots Campaigns, who can support you and provide resources.