You can support the critical work of HIAS around the world at a lower cost to you by making a gift of appreciated stock. Advantages include:
- avoiding federal and state tax on long-term capital gains;
- receiving an income tax deduction for the value of your gift based upon the average share price on the date received by HIAS.
Please consult your financial planner or tax advisor to determine how these potential tax advantages apply to your specific situation.
To make a publicly traded securities donation to HIAS:
1. For securities held by a brokerage firm, instruct your broker to make an electronic transfer to:
Broker Name: Fidelity Brokerage Services LLC
Account Number: Z85-252727
2. Please call 212-967-4100 or 301-844-7300 and dial 1 to be directed to the Development Department to let us know when you have directed your broker to make the transfer so we can track your gift, assure that you receive accurate valuation information, and credit the gift to you.
- Name of securities;
- Number of shares you are transferring;
- Name of broker and firm including contact information; and
- Your address, phone number and e-mail address.
For instructions on donating other types of securities (i.e. stocks held in certificate form, mutual funds, or a planned gift), or if you have any other questions, please contact the Development Department via email at email@example.com or by phone at 212-967-4100 or 301-844-7300 and dial 1.
From all of us at HIAS, thank you for your generosity!